Teacher Certification

Impact partners with City University for a Teacher Credential Grant & Certification program. This program is designed for full-time school employees and candidates can earn their WA Residency Teacher Certification in just one school year. Teacher certification programs provide meaningful training, which complements the amazing coaching and PD faculty receive at Impact.

Throughout the program, Impact provides reimbursements to teachers over a 3-year period.

Email hr@impactps.org to get started!

Why You Should Join the Impact
Teacher Certification Program

  • A residency certification is valid in any Washington Public School district and is transferable to over 30 states
  • You will receive excellent training that applies to multiple career sectors 
  • Impact will help pay for this! We will provide teachers with $3,500 a year, for up to three years, as long as the faculty member remain employed with Impact each year in a teaching role, to pay for a teacher preparation program.

Get the process started today! Reach out to hr@impactps.org or City-U Enrollment Advisor Steve Brown. Review CityU's webinar here.

Further Aid Options

In addition to receiving $10,500 from Impact over the course of 3 years, you may also be eligible to receive the following aid: 

State Aid

The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) administers multiple programs that offer financial assistance to students. The new Washington College Grant gives more money to more students for more types of education after high school. Learn more about the WCG.

Aid for future teachers

WSAC also supports the development of new teachers by providing financial aid to those pursuing work in subjects or locations of high need, known as shortage areas. Most aid is offered as a conditional scholarship, which is a loan that is forgiven in exchange for service as a certificated employee in a shortage area. Learn more about conditional scholarships.


Scholarships do not have to be repaid, and can be awarded based on specific achievements, or on financial need. They come from a variety of sources including schools, employers, individuals, private companies, nonprofits, communities, religious groups, and professional and social organizations. Whether you’re just starting college or returning to pursue a second career, there are scholarship opportunities for you. Check out Washington’s scholarship clearinghouse.

Receive a TEACH Grant to Pay for College

A Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant program provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete coursework needed to begin a career in teaching. To learn more about a TEACH Grant click here.

Overview of the Paraeducator Certificate

The Paraeducator Certificate Program offers statewide standards-based training for all instructional paraeducators and supports a career growth ladder for those who wish to advance their career as a paraeducator or pursue a teaching profession. 

The certificate program includes the Fundamental Course of Study and the General Paraeducator Certificate Program, both of which are required. Additionally, there are three optional certificates: two subject matter certificates, Special Education and English Language Learner (ELL), and the Advanced Paraeducator Certificate.

While paraeducators receive certificates for the completing components of the program, they are not considered certified instructional staff. (RCW)


A paraeducator must:

  • Be at least eighteen years of age and hold a high school diploma or its equivalent (for information on what is considered equivalent, please read our additional resource).

A paraeducator must meet one or more of the following:

  • Have received a qualifying score on the Education Testing Service (ETS) paraeducator assessment; or
  • Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university; or
  • Have earned 72 quarter credits or 48-semester credits at the 100 level or higher at an accredited college or university; or
  • Have completed an apprenticeship as a paraeducator, in a program registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council.

Clock Hours

Clock hours are required for teachers in the State of Washington who are seeking to earn continuing education credits. A clock hour is one hour that an individual receives instruction. The program must be delivered in a training format and outside of a typical meeting. In-person or online are appropriate forms of delivery.

Each approved in-service education agency shall provide the following record service:

  • Documentation that the in-service education program, including the program agenda
  • A copy of the summary of evaluations 
  • A copy of the minutes of the board or committee which demonstrates that such board or committee reviewed the evaluation 
  • A list, for each in-service education program, of all participants who have requested continuing education credit hours by signing a registration form made available at the in-service education program
  • The registrant shall be provided a form to be completed at the in-service education program which includes the necessary information for recording in-service credits
  • The above records shall be available for inspection by the superintendent of public instruction for a period of seven calendar years from the date of each in-service education program

For additional information or questions regarding clock hours, please email our Senior Director of Academics kvickaryous@impactps..org or hr@impactps.org 

 Certification FAQ

Yes, a valid Washington State Teaching Certificate with appropriate endorsements is required to teach at Impact Public Schools. A valid Educational Staff Associate Certificate (ESA) is required for school nurses, psychologists, counselors, social workers, audiologists and therapists.​

 Clock Hours FAQ

You must do 2 things: 

    1. During each PD session eligible for clock hours (Kayla will tell you), you must sign in here. If the session is eligible for clock hours, it will be listed in the drop-down menu on that form. That drop-down will also tell you the maximum number of hours that you can get for the session. Retroactive claiming of clock hours is not possible, so your sign in must happen during the session. Your sign in will be time and date stamped. 
    2. At the end of the school year, you will be sent information about the total number of clock hours you have earned during the year and you will need to fill out a form with that information. You will need to return the form to Impact AND keep a copy for your records.